[ Samyama Program ]
Samyama is an intensive residential program conducted by Sadhguru. Participants spend 8 days in complete silence with long hours of meditation. It provides the possibility for individuals to free themselves from the bonds of karma and purify the system, opening them up to subtler realms of experience. The program presents the potential for participants to reach heightened levels of consciousness and experience explosive states of meditativeness in the presence of Sadhguru.
“Samyama is a state where you become fully aware that you are not the body, you are not the mind, you are not the world around.”
▵ Samyama is an intensive residential program conducted by Sadhguru. Participants spend 8 days in complete silence with long hours of meditation. It provides the possibility for individuals to free themselves from the bonds of karma and purify the system, opening them up to subtler realms of experience. The program presents the potential for participants to reach heightened levels of consciousness and experience explosive states of meditativeness in the presence of Sadhguru.
Samyama is a certain kind of process, where we are putting you on fast forward, but in an extremely safe atmosphere. If you try to do it by yourself without a protective atmosphere, it could be dangerous. People can blow their brains off, if it doesn’t happen in a protected atmosphere. The reason why we’re fixing such stringent filters is because we want proper discipline and focus towards what’s being done. Otherwise, even going by bus, if you hold on to the tamarind tree, either the bus has to stop or you have to leave your arm there and go. One of these things has to happen. Otherwise you shouldn’t stick your hand out. You simply watch the world go by. If you’re walking it’s not like that, but it takes a long time. Even to get to Coimbatore it may take a very long time.
Samyama is that dimension, where what is opaque we want to make it transparent. If that is not possible at least to make it translucent, so that even if it doesn’t let you pass, at least you can clearly see there’s another dimension to life. Once you have seen, you cannot fool yourself. You know you have to go there.
Excerpt: Samyama – A Gateway to the Beyond (Isha)
▵ Samyama Dress Code
- No washing of clothes. Participants are required to bring sufficient clothes for the entire 8-day duration of the program. Please bring 8 sets (8 tops and 8 bottoms) of Samyama clothing or more.
- Participants are required to wear only white or orange-colored clothes. You can buy clothes at Isha Yoga Center/ishalife.com if you wish.
- White clothes are available at Isha Yoga Centre/ishalife.com including Kurta and Pajama, T-shirts and Track pants.
- All orange tops must be purchased at Isha Yoga Center/ishalife.com. You cannot bring your own orange-colored tops since they have to be in a particular shade.
- Pants must always be white in color. Orange pants are not allowed.
- If you bring your own white clothes, there should be no borders, logos, or designs in color, even if it is orange. This includes track pants, dhotis etc. In terms of the material, Cotton is the best.
- Please bring clothing that covers shoulders, knees and midriff at all times for both men and women.
- Ladies: If you wear kurtas, they should be loose and up to the knees. Saris must be plain white, without patterns or borders. The sari blouse also must be white.
- All warm clothing must be white (i.e. shawl, thick blanket, scarf, sweater, woolen cap, etc.)
- Participants are advised to wear loose and comfortable clothing for the program.
- Anything used in the hall must be white. This includes bed covers, blankets, bed sheets, meditation chairs and pillow covers. Pillows and mattresses must be completely covered with white pillow covers and white bed covers.
- Finding the required number of clothes that are of your size may be a challenge just before the program begins, so please finish your purchases well ahead of time.
▵ Samyama Diet Guidelines
The following foods should be completely avoided 60 days before the program:
- Any negative pranic foods. This includes garlic, onion, chili, brinjal (eggplant), asafoetida, coffee (even decaf), tea, alcohol, cigarettes and all other nervous stimulants.
- Non-vegetarian food
- Dairy in any form
Consume more natural foods (fruits, salad, sprouts, nuts) and kanji (porridges like Sanjeevini, Ragi, Millets). Bringing 50% natural food into your diet is a must. Best if you eat 100% natural foods. Bring in as much sprouted green gram and soaked groundnuts (peanuts) as possible.
For full guidelines, please refer to the Samyama confirmation email received from Isha.
▵ Samyama Guidelines (Isha)
▵ Details of prerequisite programs to be completed:
1. Pre Samyama Meet (Orientation meet) : This will be conducted at various centers. Attendance to this meet is mandatory to attend Samyama.
2. An Isha Yoga Introductory program: for example, Inner Engineering, Isha Yoga, Inner Way, the Wholeness Program, Inner Engineering Retreat or any Shambhavi Mahamudra program. (Before the Pre-Samyama Orientation Meet.) Isha Introductory Programs
3. Yogasanas – Hatha Yoga – Isha Yogasanas Programs
4. Surya Namaskar / Surya Kriya / Surya Shakti – either as a Hatha Yoga program OR as part of the Shoonya Intensive program – Isha Surya Kriya Programs
5. Bhava Spandana – Isha Bhava Spandana Programs
6. Shoonya Intensive – Isha Shoonya Intensive Programs
The following practices must be done for a minimum of 60 days before the Samyama program:
1. Shambhavi Mahamudra Kriya
2. Surya Namaskar / Surya Shakti / Surya Kriya AND Yogasanas (as mentioned in the Hatha Yoga leaflet)
It is best if you practice both Surya Namaskar (minimum 12 cycles) / Surya Shakti (minimum 12 cycles) / Surya Kriya (minimum 3 cycles) and Yogasanas daily. If that is not possible, then you can maintain the following as a minimum schedule:
A. Monday, Wednesday & Friday: Surya Namaskar (minimum 12 cycles) / Surya Shakti (minimum 12 cycles) / Surya Kriya (minimum 3 cycles)
B. Tuesday, Thursday & Saturday: Yogasanas
C. Sunday: Both!!
3.Shakti Chalana Kriya – once a day & Shoonya Meditation – twice a day
“Samyama for me made me look much deeper in so many aspects. Every breath I inhale and exhale is just a love affair between this being and the whole existence. It is a wonderful experience to know you’re a part of everything. This opportunity should be created for every possible human being in the earth.”– Aparna, USA
All these days, I only read about peace or saw people talking about peace. But I actually felt peace only here. I experienced love blossoming inside me. During this program, I was able to experience total awareness.– Khalil-ur-Rahman, Coimbatore, India