Kalabhairava Shanti is a sacred ritual that can be performed after the death of a loved one, on any Amavasya night. A special annual Kalabhairava Shanti is conducted on Mahalaya Amavasya.
Kalabhairava Shanti Process
We can put a drop of pleasantness into that being up to 14 days for those over 50 years of age who die a natural death, and up to 48 days for those under 50. In the case where someone was vibrant but died either by breaking the body in an accident or suicide, then we can do this up to 48 days for those above 33 years of age, and up to 90 days for those below 33. We are also offering a process called “Kalabhairava Shanti” which can be done any time after death. In case the time period for Kalabhairava Karma has passed, you can do the Kalabhairava Shanti process.
This has been very much a part of Yogic culture, that if someone dies and does not have the awareness to conduct his death properly, then someone else does it for him. But unfortunately, probably in the last 100-150 years, these traditions have become largely dormant. What is left is generally corrupt and commercial. If you lose someone who is dear to you, they will ask you to bring footwear for the dead, bring an umbrella for the dead. One who has lost his body is not going to wear footwear. If the man who is conducting this wants footwear, he must be upfront and say, “I want footwear.” At least he will get the right size. If he gets the dead man’s size, he has to go and sell it.
We will be using Linga Bhairavi’s abode as the energy base and conducting certain processes for the dead. If someone that you know dies, or if you know someone else who has had someone die, then within a certain period of time, a certain process can be done.
We would like people to live blissfully. If they do not live blissfully, then at least they must die peacefully. If they do not even do that, we want to do something after they die. So even if you die, I will not spare my efforts to turn you spiritual.
The Significance of Mahalaya Amavasya
Sadhguru: Without the generations that came before us, firstly we would not exist here; secondly, without their contribution we would not have all the things that we have today. Mahalaya Amavasya is a day when we express our gratitude to all of them. It is done as a ritual to pay homage to one’s dead parents, but is actually an expression of gratitude for all those generations of ancestors who lived before us.
- Photograph of the deceased
- Name of the deceased
- Date of birth or exact year of birth and date of death or exact year of death OR Names of both mother and father of the deceased.
- An individual photo of the deceased is needed. A group photo cannot be used for the process. The photo should have been taken when the person was alive.
- In case of abortion after 48 days or a stillborn infant, a photo of the mother (preferably taken during pregnancy) should be used instead.
- It is advised that ladies who are pregnant or on their menstrual cycle should not come for the Kalabhairava Shanti process, as it is not conducive for their wellbeing.
- One can also register for the process for the next 10 years at once.
Registration can be done at all Tamil Nadu local centers.