[ Adiyogi Pradakshina ]
The Adiyogi Pradakshina has been created by Sadhguru for one to become receptive to the Grace of Adiyogi, which can fuel one’s striving towards ultimate liberation.
Pradakshina is the process of circumambulating a powerful energy source in a clockwise direction to imbibe its energy. This can be especially potent at eleven degrees latitude where the Isha Yoga Center is located. The Pradakshina has been created by Sadhguru for one to become receptive to the Grace of Adiyogi, which can fuel one’s striving towards ultimate liberation.
To perform the Adiyogi Pradakshina, please gather all the offerings (rice, dhoopam, green gram, black sesame) in a cloth bag (cloth bags with Adiyogi’s image on them will be available for purchase). Start the pradakshina by chanting 3 cycles of “Yoga Yoga Yogeshwaraya” in front of Adiyogi. After the chanting is over, offer water to Yogeshwar Linga (it won’t be possible to make the water offering to Yogeswar Linga on Mahashivaratri day). The gents then walk to Suryakund, where they pour a pot of water from the Suryakund on top of their head.
Walk to the Trimurti panel and offer dhoopam in the urli/ dhoop shrine kept in front of the Trimurti. Walk to Linga Bhairavi and offer green gram to Devi. Ladies walk to Chandrakund, where they pour a pot of water from the Chandrakund on top of their head. Walk to Dhyanalinga and offer black sesame seeds. After completing the offering at Dhyanalinga, walk back to Adiyogi and offer rice to complete the pradakshina. This is one cycle.
For each cycle, rice, dhoopam, green gram, and black sesame have to be offered. One can choose to perform a certain number of cycles of pradakshina in a year. The Adiyogi Pradakshina can be done in a series of 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 12, 18, 21, 24, 33, 48, 64, 84, 96, 108, 208, 308, 408, 508, 608, 708, 808, 908 or 1008 times. However many times a person has vowed to do the pradakshina in a year, they should make sure to finish that many number of times within the one-year period.
Throughout the Pradakshina, chant “Yoga Yoga Yogeshwaraya”:
Yoga Yoga Yogeshwaraya chant:
Yoga Yoga Yogeshwaraya
Bhuta Bhuta Bhuteshwaraya
Kala Kala Kaleshwaraya
Shiva Shiva Sarveshwaraya
Shambho Shambho Mahadevaya
- Keep sufficient amount of offerings ready as per the number of cycles you have planned on that day.
- Men need to remove their shirts before doing Pradakshina.
- No footwear during Pradakshina.
- Avoid communication during Pradakshina
Frequently Asked Questions:
- How much quantity of each offering should I make (rice/green gram/black sesame)?
You can offer as much of each of the offerings as you wish.
- Can we bring the offerings from home?
- Can I wear footwear during Pradakshina?
- Will there be provision to buy the offerings at the Isha Yoga Center?
- Do we need to pay to enter Suryakund / Chandrakund?
- Do we need to pay for the water offering to Yogeshwar Linga?
- Is it possible to make the offerings during the Linga Bhairavi closing times, from 1.20 pm to 4.20 pm?
Yes, you can make the offering in front of the Linga Bhairavi Gudi outside of Linga Bhairavi.
- Is it possible to make the offerings to Dhyanalinga when it is closed for Pancha Bhuta Aradhana?
Yes, you can make the offering in front of the image of Dhyanalinga, which will be placed near the Sarva Dharma Stambha.
- How many cycles can I do?
You can do as many as you wish on any day of the year. But the cycles should be done in the series of 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 12, 18, 21, 24, 33, 48, 64, 84, 96, 108, etc.
- How to offer dhoopam?
You can offer dhoopam in the urli/dhoop shrine which is kept in front of Trimurti Panel.
- Do I need to make the offerings during each cycle?